Sunday, July 28, 2013

Some Random Things

Which Song Survey
(By Richard Goodman, Random email quiz from 2008)

Someone sent me this questionnaire the other day and it was kind of fun to see which songs I associate with various events.  The answers are probably different for everyone who takes it.  Try it for yourself.  So, which song…

… Reminds you of an old boyfriend or girlfriend?
My answer is: Always Something There To Remind Me- Naked Eyes.  I think of Julie every time I hear it, along with a dozen other songs from 1983. 

… reminds you of your first kiss?
You're In My Heart (Final Acclaim)- Rod Stewart.  I think Paige was my first kiss.  At least she is the first girl I remember kissing.

… will always be on your ipod?
If I had an iPod, it would likely be the Bee Gees' Staying Alive

… do you sing well?
No.  Not even remotely well.  It runs in the family too, although my Dad may not realize that.

… do you wish you COULD sing (or sing better)?
Of course.

… do you only sing in the shower?
And the car.

… makes you want to drive really fast?
Anything by Ministry or Therapy?

… makes you want to get up and dance?
Get Down Tonight- KC & The Sunshine Band

… did you once hate but have grown to love?
Guns & Roses- Welcome To The Jungle.  I hated it because the biggest asshole instructor in ROTC Basic camp played it before yelling at us and sending us into the tear gas tent.

… makes you want to turn the radio off as soon as you hear it?
Brown Eyed Girl- Van Morrison.  (Shudder!)

… are you embarassed to call one of your favorites?
Dancing Queen- ABBA (Although this isn’t that embarrassing.  Everyone seems to love ABBA now.)

… will you only dance to with your true love?
Anything.  If I'm dancing, it must be love.

… describes your life?
Where to start? Somewhere Out There by Linda Ronstadt or Hello by Poe or Go Insane by Lindsey Buckingham or 50 others.  Probably not Man, I Feel Like A Woman by Shania Twain even though I love that song.

… will you have played at your funeral?
Something silly, like The Rainbow Connection by the Muppets but hopefully it will be something that was written in 2153 A.D.     

 

-----Original Message-----
 From: Goodman, Richard
 Subject: Redskins Ticket

     I have an extra ticket for the Sunday Washington Redskins / Dallas Cowboys football game.  The person I was originally going with will be on vacation during that time period.  Are you, or someone you know (that would be a good game companion), interested in joining me for the game?  As an FYI, I don't drive there- I take the Metro.  If  you are interested in going, let me know.  If more than one person responds, I'll randomly choose a name.

 
----Original Message-----
 From: Elizabeth A.
 Sent: December 15, 2005 6:21 AM
 Subject: FW: Redskins Ticket

      I don't 'do' sports.  Anybody interested?  Contact Richard.

 
 -----Original Message-----
 From: Goodman, Richard
 Sent: December 15, 2005 8:48 AM
 To: Elizabeth A.
 Subject: RE: Redskins Ticket

     6:21 AM?  What the hell are you doing at work at that time?  I haven't even woken up by then!


  -----Original Message-----
 From: Elizabeth A.
 Sent: December 15, 2005 8:50 AM
 To: Goodman, Richard
 Subject: RE: Redskins Ticket

       Working?

-----Original Message-----
From: Goodman, Richard 
Sent: December 15, 2005 8:54 AM
To: Elizabeth A.
Subject: RE: Redskins Ticket

      I just have to say it since I never get the chance- are you working hard or hardly working?  I would be sleeping on my desk at that hour.  You go home at 3:00 or 4:00 though, right?  Now I remember what I hated about  school- having to be in class and focus on learning at 7:00 AM.

-----Original Message-----
From: Elizabeth A.
Sent: December 15, 2005 8:55 AM
To: 'Goodman, Richard'
Subject: RE: Redskins Ticket

 
    Working medium-hard at this moment as I have time to e-mail you.

 
-----Original Message-----
From: Elizabeth A.
Sent: December 15, 2005 9:04 AM
To: Goodman, Richard
Subject: Quick Poll (Student ID)

  Student ID? Dig back...far into your memory...many y-e-a-r-s ago! ...Did you ever use it for anything? Derive any benefit from it? If so, what?
 

-----Original Message-----
From: Goodman, Richard
Sent: December 15, 2005 9:16 AM
To: Elizabeth A.
Subject: RE: Quick Poll (Student ID)

  I certainly remember my student ID- it had my best ID/license picture ever.  I looked like a dashing David Byrne.  We didn't have them in high school though, just in college.  I think I used it for getting meals at the cafeteria, proof of "studentship" for movie ticket/etc... discounts, ID for using the student rec center & gym & intramural sports programs, and as ID when stopped by campus police for, um, no legitimate reason.


-----Original Message-----
From: Elizabeth A.
Sent: December 15, 2005 9:24 AM
To: Goodman, Richard
Subject: RE: Quick Poll (Student ID)

...a dashing David Byrne? Stop, you're killing me! Bright side? - you didn't have a Flock of Seagulls hairdo...

 

Mom‘s Mixed Messages
(By Richard Goodman, 2005)

Sometimes I wonder about my parents and what message they are trying to send me.  This is something my Mom emailed me on Valentine’s day.  I’m not sure where she found it and at first, I thought she was sending me another “subtle” hint to get married (like it is just that easy- Mom prompts me, I snap my fingers, and a marriage happens.)  Then I read further along and the article started talking about socioeconomic advantages of marriage.  Okay, I suppose that makes sense….  Then it moved on to political policies and welfare statistics and I started getting confused.  Am I supposed to get married or run for political office?  Then it wrapped up with a knock on ObamaCare.  Huh?  How the heck am I supposed to interpret this email?  I am very confused.  What exactly is my Mom saying?  Yes, I’m an unmarried loser but is that my fault or is it somehow now the government’s fault?  I like that answer but I don’t think that’s what her intention was.  Does anyone else have any ideas?  Here’s the email:

 
On Valentine’s Day, Share the Word About the Benefits of Marriage
Posted February 14th, 2011

As millions of rose bouquets grace kitchen tables and office desks across America and dozens of chocolate delicacies are savored after candlelight dinners, card companies, jewelry stores and candy makers will be singing the praises of St. Valentine and raising their own glass of champagne to love.

But the economic benefits of celebrating lifelong love are not simply for card stores and florist shops once a year. Marriage not only pays emotional dividends as men and women commit themselves to each other, focus on their children, and face the challenges of life together. The institution that forges unique personalities and lives together in the hearth of loving commitment can also provide notable economic benefits. Married couples tend to have a higher average income, more assets, and a greater likelihood of owning their own home than families led by single adults.

Men and women aren’t the only ones to benefit from lifelong, married love. Children raised in families headed by a married couple have a greater chance of experiencing economic stability, high academic performance, and emotional maturity. Children living under the promise of marital commitment are six times less likely to experience poverty and can display the positive social effects of having both parents in the home, potentially avoiding the many hindrances to social mobility that tend to plague children raised in single-parent households.

Unfortunately, the personal joy and socioeconomic advantages of marriage are often lost on those who arguably need those benefits the most. With the national unwed birth rate reaching 41 percent in 2009 and almost three-quarters of African-American children alone born outside of marriage, millions of children are at risk of experiencing the financial difficulties and social challenges of living in single-parent households. The same children (and their parents) are also more likely to need government financial assistance. Of the nearly $400 billion in annual welfare funding spent on low-income families, three-quarters goes to those led by single parents.

Financial assistance alone will not help needy families avoid poverty and long-term dependence. Demonstrating the personal fulfillment of healthy relationships, which no government check can provide, and the economic benefits of marriage to low-income communities can increase the chance of self-dependency and more stable families.

Just as the greatest Valentine will not be the most expensive diamond or the richest three-course meal, the greatest gift of compassion and justice for poor families is not more money and federal handouts. It is the opportunity to learn about the emotional, social, and economic advantages of marriage and potentially share in the promises of lifelong, married love. Rather than continue a cycle of dependence with streams of anonymous government checks, policymakers can take steps to remove disincentives to marriage and demonstrate how healthy marital relationships can lead to self-sufficiency.

For example, lawmakers could remove penalties on marriage imposed by Obamacare by repealing the legislation once and for all. Obamacare could cost certain married couples upwards of $10,000 a year. Congress must immediately reduce or eliminate the welfare marriage penalties that punish low-income recipients who choose to marry. And they can work to ensure federal programs adequately explain the economic and social benefits of marriage to communities who have a high risk of having children out of wedlock.

If they do so—and President Obama’s budget released later today will offer some initial clues to the tenor of this year’s debate—our nation can experience a springtime of marriage. More personal happiness and smaller government will make a very attractive couple.

Quick Hits:


 
'Star Wars': Force Majeure
Readers respond to the new "Star Wars" trilogy, "Titanic," and Madonna
Entertainment Weekly, Published in issue #364 Jan 31, 1997


Cheers to the excellent cover of Luke Skywalker and the article on the new Star Wars trilogy. I own all three videos of the classic Star Wars, have seen all of the movies at the theater, and will not give up the chance to see them again in their rerelease. The Star Wars trilogy could not be seen enough (by my standards) to grow old — even 20 years later.
JEFFERY A. EWERS
Sandusky, Ohio

Regarding the appeal of the 20-year-old Star Wars in rerelease on the big screen, I can only echo what I overheard after seeing the promo (while waiting for Star Trek: First Contact to begin): ''I think I've just seen God.''
D. HART ST. MARTIN
Claremont, Calif.
 
I was only six years old in 1977 when Star Wars first came out. I saw it then, and I will see it again on the big screen. I, for one, cannot wait for Jan. 31.
JAMES GODFREY
Quincy, Mass.
 
Do you honestly think that the rerelease of Star Wars is really one of the biggest gambles of 1997? I should think it'll make back the estimated $30 million it took to revamp it in the first weekend! I think you guys have truly underestimated the fan base of these films. Most everyone I know owns the whole trilogy in one form or another, and all of those people will be among the first in line to get their tickets on the 31st! This is going to be like the rerelease of a classic Disney film — spend a little on advertising, make up some nice new prints, and sit back and watch the money roll in!
TOM RACINE
New York City

Spending at least $30 million to rerelease spiffy new theatrical versions of the most revered science-fiction series of all time is not a gamble. A gamble involves risk, like spending more than $100 million on a Titanic movie, or $55 million on a musical with Madonna.
RICHARD GOODMAN
Oakton, Va.

Change Star Wars? I've believed this to be ludicrous since I first heard of it. George Lucas is losing touch with reality. Lucas has said that a special effect is just a tool to tell a story. Mr. Lucas, take it from someone who grew up on Star Wars; the story is all that matters. I just can't see how fans will accept this blasphemy. You should have concentrated your efforts where they belong: the prequels.
MATT SOLOVEY
Mountain Top, Pa.

Will audiences come?'' Come on! What were you thinking? You must have taken a light-saber blow to the head.
KARLE STEWART
Falls Church, Va.

I don't care how big your television is or how good a sound system you have; nothing compares to seeing a movie in the theater. Theaters are the reason people will be back in droves to see the Star Wars trilogy again.
PERRY BROWN
Denver


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment