Thursday, February 13, 2014

Love (Not Love) Songs: An Anti-Love Playlist

Since Valentine's Day is just around the corner, I wondered if there was some authoritative playlist out there on the internet that was appropriate for the occasion.  It turns out there is not, at least not on the first 10 pages I looked at.  I found some top ten lists and a couple other more extensive ones but nothing that really suited my purposes.  So I decided to start my own.  Below is that list.  Oh, you were expecting love songs?  No, no, no- you misunderstand me.  I was looking for an anti-love song list.  It is easy to find a list of love songs since pretty much every song ever written is about love and many people have come up with lists for Valentine’s Day to celebrate their loved ones. 

Some of us are single though, or have an unrequited crush, or are in mourning, or are bitter and depressed.   Heck, some of us are just cynical and sarcastic about people who decide to be romantic exactly one day a year, maybe two if you include a significant other’s birthday.  That’s the list I wanted to find, to come up with some songs that were not sappy and romantic, not Silly Love Songs, at least not today.  There will be other days to play Rod Stewart’s “You’re In My Heart” or Kylie Minogue’s “The One” (or Kylie’s entire catalog, actually.)  Now I’m starting my own list of my favorite anti-love songs and will add to it when I come across other songs that fit the theme.  Check out the list below and enjoy.  Or rather, don’t enjoy- wallow instead. 


Anti-Love Songs

Aerosmith - Hole In My Soul

Afghan Whigs - Fountain and Fairfax

Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know

Alice Cooper – Poison

Alicia Keys - Goodbye

Beck - Lost Cause

Bee Gees - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart

Ben Folds Five - Song For The Dumped

Beyonce- Me, Myself And I

Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine

Billy Bragg - Valentine's Day Is Over

Bob Marley & The Wailers - No Woman, No Cry

Bon Jovi - You Give Love A Bad Name

Cake - I Will Survive

Cee Lo Green- F**K You

Chris Isaak - Somebody's Crying

Concrete Blonde - Long Time Ago

Cowboy Junkies - Sun Comes Up, It’s Tuesday Morning

Dave Mason - We Just Disagree

Def Leppard - Love Bites

Eagles – One Of These Nights

Eagles - Heartache Tonight

Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel

Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind

Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way

Flock Of Seagulls- Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You)

Flock Of Seagulls- The More You Live, The More You Love

Foreigner - Head Games

Frank Zappa - Broken Hearts Are Fo...

George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today

Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again (Naturally)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P-v1BVQn8&feature=player_detailpage

Gino Vannelli- Hurts To Be In Love

 
 
Go West - The King Of Wishful Thinking
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TDBFLQ/ref=dm_ws_sp_tlw_trk1_B000TDBFLQ 

Gram Parsons & Emmylou Harris - Love Hurts

Harry Nilsson - Without You

J. Geils Band - Love Stinks

Ice T - 99 Problems

Joe Jackson - Happy Loving Couples

Journey - Separate Ways (World Apart)

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

Juliana Hatfield - Everybody Loves Me But You



Justin Timberlake- Cry Me A River

Kajagoogoo- Too Shy

 

Kanye West - Heartless

Kate Bush - This Woman

Kelis - Caught Out There

Kelly Clarkson- Since U Been Gone

Lauryn Hill - Ex-Factor

Linkin Park - Valentine's Day

Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam- All Cried Out

Lucinda Williams - Changed The Locks

Maroon 5 - Through With You

Mary J. Blige - Not Gonna Cry

Matt Skiba - Good Fucking Bye

Mazzy Star - Blue Flower

MC Ya - U & Ur Hand

Meat Loaf - Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

Michael Johnson - Bluer Than Blue

Motley Crue - Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)

Nancy Sinatra – These Boots Are Made For Walkin’

Nazareth - Love Hurts

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep ...

Otis Redding - I've Been Loving You...

Pat Benatar - Heartbreaker

Patsy Cline - I Fall To Pieces

Patsy Cline - She's Got You

Paul & Linda McCartney- Another Day

Paul Simon - 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover

Paul Young- Come Back And Stay



Police- King Of Pain



Quarterflash - Harden My Heart

R.E.M. - The One I Love

Radiohead - How Can You Be Sure

R.E.M.- Everybody Hurts

Rhianna - Hard

Righteous Brothers - You've Lost That Loving Feeling

Ringo Starr- King of Broken Hearts

Roy Orbison - Crying

Samantha Sang- Emotion

Sum 41 - Pieces

The All-American Rejects- Gives You Hell

The Cure - Apart

Manhattans - Kiss And Say Goodbye

Replacements - Answering Machine

The Sundays - I Kicked A Boy

Temptations - What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted

Todd Rundgren- Hello It’s Me

Velvet Underground - Femme Fatale

White Stripes - Forever For Her (Is Over For Me)

White Stripes - I Can't Wait

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers- You Got Lucky

Tom Waits - Blue Valentines

Toni Braxton - Unbreak My My Heart

Ugly Kid Joe - Everything About You

Whitesnake – Here I Go Again

Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart

 
 

Okay, Fine- Here Are Some Love Songs (i.e "You Are The One")

Ambrosia- You’re The Only Woman

Firefall- You Are The Woman

Kylie Minogue- The One

 
Rod Stewart- You're In My Heart (Final Acclaim)

Foo Fighters- The One


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment