Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Ken’s Poker Tournament Summaries

Ken’s Poker Tournament Summary

From: Ken
Sent: Tue, Jun 16, 2015 12:24 pm
Subject: Tourny results + Billy WSOP main event


Hey Guys,

Sorry for the late posting:  The Inaugural Basement Tourney was a huge success , with a record number of participants.  Thank you to everyone who brought food to share:  Maria with her famous chocolate covered strawberries,  Jeff for his 300 chicken wings, Ken G for his chicken salad, and I apologize but I didn't see who brought the prosciutto cheese wraps, Veggies & Dip, cookies and pretzels.  

The notable event of the tournament:  after finishing on the bubble for every tournament I've ever seen him in - Richard broke through and cashed in the money, chopping with legendary Fast Eddies Regular Pete, joining us for the first time.  Welcome to the in crowd, Peter!  

Shout out to Ms. S. - as it was her idea to renovate our dumpy basement to man-cave it, with poker tournaments in mind.   For anyone who would like to reply with a thank you, I'll forward to her (of course to butter her up to hold tournaments more often).

Also - if you didn't know, Billy is entering the WSOP main event - and he'll be updating his twitter account with his daily progress next month, and in November.  If you'd like to follow, his address is:

Billy @XXXXXXX

See you all soon,

 
Ken

 
From: Ken
Date: January 25, 2015 at 5:46:32 PM EST
Subject: 1/24/15 results and NoVa survey
For a last second game - we ended up with 2 tables and 14 people,  of which I think I gave a bad beat to at leasts 10.  Fireworks started early when in the first rotation, Ahmed was All-In on a board of AQ2QQ.  Everyone at the table knew he had the Q except for the moron who called, who of course was me.  That left me with 1,400 in chips and 1 bet left.  I survived my first race with 99 and doubled up again with JJ, which allowed me to stay in long enough for Joe Mike to have his AA cracked by Maria's trip Jacks.   Joe Mike won the booby prize:  a trial bottle of Gold Body body powder (which I had "won" last tournament thanks to Billy).

Ahmed survived the worst beat of the night - flopping the nut flush vs my bottom pair, only to see it go runner runner boat, to get his revenge by knocking me out and finishing 3rd.  That left The Great American AJ heads up vs KenG:  and TGAAJ could not catch 20 outs with QJ to crack Ken's pocket 3s.  Congrats to Ahmed, AJ, and KenG - who at one time were all severely short stacked and battled back to place in the money.

Will host again soon - and this time I'll give more advanced notice.  Also, I would greatly appreciate if any of you could vote for us in NoVa magazine's "Best of" issue:  http://www.northernvirginiamag.com/best-of-survey/

See you all soon!


Ken

 
From: Ken
Date: January 3, 2015 at 12:44:06 AM EST
Subject: The Night of A/J


The first poker night of the year at Ms. Sanchez's house was kicked off by me getting knocked out first.  Billy took over half my stack early when his AA murdered my AK on a K high flop.  Then to add insult to injury he got the rest when he called my all in bet - after running through the possibilities he decided I likely had Q/J suited and called with A/10.  He gave me too much credit, as I had Q/J off.  An A on the turn sealed the deal and I won my own stupid prize.  And James wasn't there to give out any hugs.

Meanwhile over at Table 2 - a massive pot developed when we had a 4 way All-In pre:  55 for Ted, 88 for Will, JJ for Sam and AJ for Jeff.  An A on the flop was all Jeff needed to take a huge chip lead. Sam made a nice comeback, but his All In QQ was no match for Robins AJ - with an A right out of the gate.  Billy had a chance to double with 88, but he had no chance vs Jeff's AJ.  AJ was the hand of the night.

Robin and Jeff ended up heads up, and after doubling on a miracle river 8 with A/8 vs Jeffs A/10 - she couldn't catch up on a straight draw vs Jeffs KK.  Congrats Jeff for winning the first tournament of the year.

Stay tuned for the next date - I'll try for February.

Later all,

Ken

 

From: Ken
To: Richard Goodman <foreman315@aol.com>
Sent: Sat, Nov 22, 2014 12:47 pm
Subject: RE: Next home game!
Ah, got mixed up - I thought you Double Bubble'd instead of your customary bubble.  My apologies.

Omaha is a lot of fun, so many more variables.   I'll always be game for playing either.  We'll stick with regular NLH unless it's unanimous to play Omaha.  I don't want to learn any more games, my brain can't handle it.




To: Ken
Subject: Re: Next home game!
From:
Richard
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 12:43:48 -0500
I'll say yay.  (And I'm pretty sure I was the 4th place bubble because Joe Mike was already at the cash game when I left the tournament table.  In fact, I bubbled the whole night- 4th in tourney, didn't leave when I was up a little in the cash game, and continually playing catch up in my Omaha education.  Still, I had fun which is why I stuck around.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken
Sent: Sat, Nov 22, 2014 12:32 pm
Subject: Next home game!
If you believe it, Ms S. actually encouraged me to get another Tourney night on the calendar.  I smell a trap but still took the bait.  

Next game:  Friday, January 2nd - start time 6pm.  The usual:  $40 tournament with cash play afterwards.  As always, please Yay or Nay for a head count.

11/21 Recap:

Last night we welcomed Kevin (Fast Eddies Regular) to the crowd, and I promptly stuck him at the Monkey House Table (Will, Billy, Ian, Vic, myself and Corey).  Sorry about that Kevin, we're normally not that loud.  And when I say "we're", I mean Will, Billy, Ian, Vic and Corey.  Kevin didn't play his  best, but I think he was distracted by Billy's purse.

Ricky got flushed on the river and was knocked out first, winning the expired Zagnut.  Luckily for him, Corey had already eaten it.

Joe Mike was card dead, and it was reported that he never played a hand but still bubbled in 4th.  Chris and Will kept exchanging chips with each other until my AQ held up against Will's AJ - which put me heads up with the chip lead vs. Chris.  After losing 4 straight hands preflop, I gladly accepted The Quakers offer to chop.

Everyone have a happy holiday season, and hope to see you on the 2nd

Ken
 

From: Ken
Date: February 4, 2014 1:24:53 PM EST
To: "
Richard

Subject: RE: Poker is cancelled
The one thing I've learned is that the industry is just filled with miserable people, and once the league stops being fun it's time to step away.  Or at least take a break.

Unfortunately for me, the answer was A.    :(



To: Ken
Subject: Re: Poker is cancelled
From: Richard
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 19:55:26 -0500
Well that's a darn shame, again.  I'm am surprised at the number of regulars who dropped off once the move was made to the Red Zone (Jennifer, Julia, Dustin, Ricky, Omar/Amy, etc...) even though it was only 2-3 miles away (and may have even been closer for some people.)  Maybe they didn't like the new recruits who started playing lately, or the food, or something.

My answer for the question is a hedge- it probably was $15 although no should have given you credit for AA and they might have tried bluffing at the pot with a Q and ended up giving you $1,000.  I'm usually the only idiot who limps with AA and has the table's wild card decide to check/fold for the first time in two hours.
-----Original Message-----
From: Ken  
Sent: Mon, Feb 3, 2014 11:03 am
Subject: Poker is cancelled


Hello All,

James and I have decided to take a sabbatical from running our poker league, and we would like to thank all of our loyal participants - especially the band that we've been playing with for years. 

If a new opportunity arises, we'll let you know.  In the meantime, this will be my last email.  So for my last question:

Extra chips (whenever it may be) for anyone who can answer:

I'm playing deepstack cash game (2/5 NL) last Friday.  I'm under the gun with AA.  I limp for 5.  It folds around to the small blind who calls.  Big blind checks.  Flop comes AAQ.  How much money do I end up making?

A)  $15
B)  $250
C)  $1000
D)  I'm still stacking my chips.

Later all!


Ken

 

From: Ken
Date: July 14, 2013 1:09:59 AM EDT
Subject: Sneak in Tournament

With Big Mama out of town, it was time to sneak in a home tournament.  We had 17 participants, and it didn't take long for Ricky to be knocked out as the first casualty.  Lucky for him, I forgot to buy the "First Out Prize", which in the past has been expired Potted Meat, a Zagnut, or Sugar Dots.

With 5 left, we decided to give 4th and 5th their money back - then the standard 50/30/20 split.  Jack was poised to make a run, doubling up twice late - but finally ran out of steam and settled for 5th.  I was next out, my AK running into Sam's KK.  Robin played great in her first showing with us, and settled for 3rd.  Richard, who at one point had 2 big blinds left - roared back and would have been almost even with Sam while heads up, but an unfortunate turn card sealed the deal for a 2nd place finish.  Sam was the man of the hour, who not only won the tournament - but it seemed like he knocked out half the field.
Then it was on to the cash game - and all I can tell you was first Omar doubled up flopping a set vs my KK......then knocked me out turning a straight nullifying my top pair.  Bah Humbug.  All in all another fun night of poker, I'll check the summer schedule and try for an August game.

Later all,

Ken


Ken’s summary of his game on January 5th, 2013:

Welcome to the club to our new members: Aimee , Omar, Wes and welcome back Corey. I think you all learned the 2 basic rules to play with us:

1) have fun

2) trash talk with Vic
We had 2 tables packed, and placed the top 4. James wasn't available for a hug - so the prize for first person knocked out was a Zagnut candy bar. Wes got knocked out shortly after the announcement, and happily ate it while still sitting at the table.  The bubble prize was a package of those disgusting colored sugar dots.....and when we got down to 5, the game tightened up because nobody wanted to "win" it. Finally I had to push with A/Q and Omar called with 99. I flopped my Ace and avoided the insult of winning the candy that I had bought.

Once we got down to 4, it went very fast. Ahmed came in 4th, and I'm pretty sure he was just itching to get into the cash game Billy started up on table 2. Pat then knocked me out - and in doing so became the first person to knock both me and Billy out of the same tournament.....since the last time he played with us. That left Pat vs Chris, who was saved earlier by cracking Corey's AA with QQ all in pre and the mircle Q on the river. In a heads up war of attrition, I think it lasted 2 hands - with Chris winning with something beating something.

We ended up playing cash until about 2am, and I remember two things:

1) Stephen flopping Quad Aces that wasn't the nuts - he had to dodge Vic's straight flush draw
2) Aimee losing an all in pot with her 2 pair to Omar's straight - and at the conclusion of the hand she raked the chips as if she had won.  Omar calmly asked "Is this what it's like being married?" Pat and I answered in unison: "Yes!"

Good times.



Ken’s summary of his game on July 24, 2011:
Sent: Sun, Jul 24, 2011 1:01 am
Subject: 7/23 Tourny Night At Ken's House

16 participants tonight - separated by 2 tables: The Quiet Adult Serious Poker Players, and The Monkey House Kiddie Table.  Randy was FKOotN (First Knock out of the Night) - who hit a straight and ran into Billy's full house. 

Welcome to the club Richard and Will. Richard was on his way to the final table until his KK was cracked by my preflop all-in AK. Sorry about that Richard. Will fared a bit better, riding his success from the Monkey House table all the way to 4th - happily winning the Bubble Prize: a can of stale Coors Light that expired in 2008. He even took a swig (and turned green).

James finished 3rd when his QQ was cracked by Joe's JJ. About even in chips, Joe and Billy chopped first.  I would have played a lot better, but when the house hit 83 degrees - I got distracted by my BO.  Great fun tonight - thanks all.

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment