Friday, August 3, 2012

Why? (August 2012 Edition)

Why did I not realize until just now that the name of the musical “group” LMFAO was really the text/IM abbreviation for Laughing My Fucking Ass Off?  I remember thinking back when I first heard them that their name must stand for something, yet until just now I didn’t trip to it.  Maybe I don’t send people tweets, texts and IMs often enough.  Or maybe I just think it is one of those stupid things that I refuse to participate in, like LOL.  The name fits the group though- their songs like Party Rock Anthem and Sexy And I Know It are frivolous, of the moment, ubiquitous, and verging on annoying and passé. 

Why did I go to Chik-Fil-A for food tonight?  Not because I’m anti-gay marriage because I’m actually fine with it.  Not because I’m pro-capitalism, which I’m also in favor of.  Nor was it because I think people should be allowed to conduct themselves however they wish, as long as it doesn’t harm me.  (And tell me how there is any difference between organizing protests because the owners of a company support traditional marriage and political groups lobbying to defeat gay marriage bills?  They both are examples of one group trying to thwart the rights of another group.) 

No, the reason I went by the chain restaurant was because I wanted to see if the food was worth incurring the wrath of the gay marriage proponents.  If it wasn’t particularly good, I would have no problem avoiding the chain for good.  Heck, I’ve only ever eaten there a couple of times.  I think the last time was four years ago when I was Christmas shopping with my parent’s at Concord Mills Mall in North Carolina.  There was even a location that opened up literally 2 miles away from me last year and I still had never gone by there even though it is very convenient to me.  Last night while playing poker over at Faith’s house, the people there got into several discussions during the course of the evening.  All that talk of Chik-Fil-A made me hungry to try them again.  I’m happy to say that the spicy chicken sandwich was good but not so special that I couldn’t get something similar elsewhere.  The problem though is the waffle fries.  They are incredibly delicious!  They are worth going back for so I still have no idea what I’ll do in the future if this imbroglio continues.  It’s not like the company is doing anything illegal or immoral so why shouldn’t they be allowed to continue selling such delicious fries?

Why is the song “Lights” by Ellie Goulding suddenly getting lots of airplay?  Ditto for “Tongue Tied” by Group Love.  I was listening to both those songs last year and deciding that the singles were good but the rest of the albums by both bands were weaker than the singles and not worth getting, although for Goulding it was too late because I had already bought it after hearing all the hype coming from England.

Why is it more fun lately to watch TV than it is to go to the movies?  I’ve been enjoying all the shows of the USA network this summer more than I have most of the Hollywood movies that have come out.  For instance, e series Covert Affairs is better than the movies Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter or Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World.
 
Speaking of which, why does Keira Knightley only get recognized for movies that require her to wear a corset?  She was freaking brilliant in Seeking A Friend but the movie just vanished.  Possibly because it showed how one dimensional Steve Carrell is in dramatic roles but more likely because it was a downer of a film that ended with the world being destroyed.  Still, she tore up the screen in her role, as she has done in just about every movie of her that I can think of, corset or no corset. 

She got loads of positive acclaim in costume drama movies like Pride & Prejudice, Atonement, The Duchess, and Pirate Of The Caribbean and she did great in movies set in the modern day, like Love Actually, Bend It Like Beckham, Last Night, and even Domino, though I didn’t entirely buy her as a kick-ass bounty hunter.  Why does she not have an Academy Award?  It’s a travesty that Eddie Murphy has as many acting nominations as she does and that Adrian Brody and Jennifer Hudson have won the award, as has that chick from The Artist (although the chick did do a great job) but Knightley hasn’t.  I hope she knocks everyone’s socks off with Anna Karenina and she wins for that.   

No comments:

Post a Comment